Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Adventures in Parenting



It's hard to believe my daughter will be 16 in 11 days...I'm having trouble breathing already.  She has been an adventure since the moment I laid eyes on her...and has changed me for the better.
I've been preparing this cake for a while now, working on flowers one night, making fondant the next, baking the cakes....rebaking the cakes (eggs shouldn't be forgotten), icing the next...reicing.  Some may find it strange that a mother would spend what could have probably been an entire week on one birthday cake, but not for me.  There was something about taking the time, the care...the love that I just needed to do.  Now that the cake is done....I could have spend years on the cake..it would have never totalled the amount of love I have for that kid.  She's sweeter than cake :)

Here's my girl at 3 years....insert awwww here...


This cake was a couple of firsts for me, some which I'll do again...others are sitting in the bottom of my garbage can.
I enjoy making things from scratch, but someone invented 'boxes' of cake mix for good reason, my sanity.  After a horribly failed attempt at making a plain white cake, to which I forgot the eggs..I tossed it.  Then, because I'm a gluten for punishment, I tried it again, this time I forgot the milk.  Seriously?! 

Once I had my handy dandy cake mix from the grocery store in hand, it was smooth sailing.  The batter was divine...and pink :) Cake 1 / Baker 0


I then tried my hand at gum paste flowers.  Gum paste, where have you been all my life?  This stuff rocks.  I managed to make a small batch, coloured it pink, rolled it around in icing sugar and voila, instant garden.  The leaves didn't turn out as well, but the cutter I had for leaves was obnoxiously huge, so I'll have to remember to pick up a 'teeny' one next time.


I also used 'dust' for the first time.  OMG, I could use this crap as eyeshadow, it's awesome!  Once I brought home my little tube of glitter, I quickly searched the house for vodka.  No joke, the instructions on the back say 'pour small amount of vodka into a Candy Melting Plate cavity'. 


Vodkaless, as usual, I opted for lemon juice instead and sprinkled the dust into the bowl, as I was fresh out of 'Candy Melting Plate Cavities'.  I stole a brand new paint brush from my son's model airplane kit and away I went.  I love this dust crap...I'd love it better if it was mixed with vodka though :)


I made fondant, which isn't a first for me, but this was the first time I screwed up the recipe so royally, I had to make a whole new batch.   Fondant 1 / Baker 0

Her party is this weekend, in our basement, therefore I (and my hubby) plan on enjoying this party from the comfort of my neighbour's porch...ah peace and quiet.

Here is the finished product.....




I love it almost as much as I love her :)


View from above (hard to see the 'dust' but the flowers are uber shiny)


View from back


Thankfully the brown royal icing darken, it was looking like drywall mud!


One of the many reasons I love her more than cookie dough....she bought me these flowers (with card) yesterday, while I was baking away.


Love it!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment